Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vanilla Chai Apple Sauce or Ice Cream Topping

So, I was making myself a cup of tea and then saw the old apples sitting on the counter. So I thought to myself, "hrmm.. Michelle, you brilliant woman you. Why don't you make some apple topping WITH the chai tea?" And so, I did! Something a little spicy to go with some sweet homemade vanilla ice cream on a warm summer afternoon. Please hold your applause until after the recipe. ;)

Vanilla Chai Apple Sauce
- 5 Organic Apples that are a bit on the old side, but aren't bad
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 cups of hot chai tea (I used a blend from Teavana)
- 1 vanilla bean (I recommend using a Tahitian bean. They go better with fruit.)
- 1 1/2 tsp of raw sugar
- Cinnamon - I didn't measure this since it is up to personal preference and I was lazy. I'd say I used around a teaspoon for a really mild sauce.
- a dash of cardamom

1. Wash and cut up apples into 1 inch chunks. I left the peel on mine, but you can remove it if you'd like.
2. Toss apples in pot with hot chai tea and spices. Bring up to boiling then turn down and let it simmer until the apples are tender.
3. Run full mixture through food processor or a blender until it is as smooth as you'd like it. If you'd like it a little thicker, don't use much of the tea/juice when blending. I used about half of what was left and it made for thinner apple sauce texture.
*Note Regarding Cinnamon: I only used a teaspoon because I wanted to make a really mild sauce that people could then spice up to their own preferences. Personally, I think it needs a lot more cinnamon, but that's just me. So, toss some on top when you eat it! It'll also make it pretty looking.*

Of course, you don't HAVE to put this on ice cream. It's only a suggestion. Really, I won't MAKE you eat ice cream. Oh? You want to eat some ice cream? Well then, who am I to say no? >:D

Enjoy everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment